Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 3, 2013

Multi

I was looking at my picture with good ole Brigham Young and I realized that it probably invokes various thoughts in the people who read my blog. I personally love Brigham Young. He is one of the most tenacious and strong willed individuals in history. In spite of bloody persecution and an extermination order at the command of Governor Boggs, Brigham Young managed to herd a bunch of ill prepared Mormons across desolate plains only to come to a deserted valley which he turned into an oasis for those traveling in the name of freedom. His reverence for education served as the catalyst for the institutions which he erected all over Utah, the University of Utah being the first. Ironically that student body would hang him if they had the chance today. There is one major point of contest between President Young and myself and I believe that to be the chink in his armor. I stand with Joseph Smith in respect to race and the church. I know without a doubt that God is not a respecter of persons and that Brigham Young got it wrong in his stance against the blacks. He however was not alone in his beliefs according to the dictates of almost the entire society. I say almost as people like Joseph Smith and the Quakers (among various other small groups) were the few by a long shot. There really are only small numbers of people who love people because they are people without requisite. I love Winston Churchill as well and I am sure we are all painfully aware of his chinks. I guess it stands to reason that there just aren't any perfect people but there are good people who do great things. I can only imagine the trek across the plains with mostly women and children clinging to the bare handcarts, telling themselves to keep putting the next foot forward, waiting to die. I can only imagine being responsible for their care  and arrival. I can only imagine their painful deaths and suffering. I am proud to share in this heritage, to know that my ancestors crossed these plains. In keeping with seeing the good I applaud President Brigham Young for as I stretch my eyes across the valley I take in the amazing fruits of his labor. I see the creations of Utah and the prosperity and clean living. I see also the dirt and grime, the parts better left unspoken but the good far outweighs these and I bask in the glow that started with the Lion of the Lord.....Brigham Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment